[b-hebrew] T-SADE

Will Parsons wbparsons at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jul 26 17:08:00 EDT 2010

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 07:41:47 +0200, "Arnaud Fournet" <fournet.arnaud at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Will Parsons" <wbparsons at alum.mit.edu>

I'm not familiar with Saenz-Badillos; what's his(?) approach?

> > First of all, we *don't* have TS in the Codex Vaticanus in the text at all.
> > There are numerous occurrences of Hebrew name with sadhe transcribed with
> > simple sigma in the Vaticanus and other manuscripts of the LXX.  The one
> > claimed use of tau+sigma is in a heading to the acrostical portion of
> > Lamentations, and that seems uncertain.
> ***
> I do not see why it is uncertain.
> That occurence is certain!? even if it may be isolated.

*You* may think it is certain, but *I* don't have access to a facsimile of
Codex Vaticanus so that I can judge for myself, and the sigla of the edition
of the LXX in my possession contradict that reading.  To me, that makes it
uncertain.

Anyway, I think we both have reached the point where we're not bringing
anything new into the argument, so I don't intend to carry on in this thread.
Before closing, I would like to point out one last time that even if the
reading you like can be verified, it *still* doesn't follow that it would
necessarily reflect a Hebrew pronuncation of [tsade].  If you think that it
would, ask yourself if you are prepared to argue that Hebrew shin was
pronounced [khs] on the basis of the Greek rendering of the name as khsen.

--
William Parsons