[b-hebrew] Pharaoh Khepera'a in Jeremiah 44:30

Will Parsons wbparsons at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jul 26 16:26:53 EDT 2010

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 11:46:54 +1000, Kevin Riley <klriley at alphalink.com.au> wrote:
>  Egyptian kh could not be represented by Greek X until after it had changed
>  from an aspirated stop to a fricative.

This is contradicted by the rendering of the Old Kingdom Pharaoh known in
English as Khufu in Greek as Χέοψ/Cheops.  Both Cheops and Apries are found
in Herodotus, so why there would be a difference in how Egyptian ḫ/kh is
rendered is not clear.

>  That is usually dated to after the time of the LXX.
>
> 'Απριης is what would have been expected up until that time.
>
> On 26/07/2010 10:54 AM, Will Parsons wrote:
> >
> > As to what to make of this, I'm not sure.  But, I'll throw out the
> > evidence for what it's worth.

I see you have silently corrected by misspelling.  A scholar and a gentleman!

--
Will Parsons