[b-hebrew] "Yahweh" occurs 6823 times in the Roman Catholic NewJerusalem Bible BUT occurs "ZERO" times in the underlying Hebrew

davedonnelly1 at juno.com davedonnelly1 at juno.com
Sun Jul 25 12:37:13 EDT 2010

On Sun Jul 25 10:14:35 EDT 2010 Barry nebarry wrote;

You clearly, David, have a religious interest in this question which is
not
shared by the majority of people on the list.
For me, the precise spelling or pronunciation is purely of academic
interest.

Barry,

As we both know, KJBO Christians, dogmatically care about this issue,
although it is quite possible that they are mistaken in believing that
God
wants to be known by the name "Jehovah".

And it seems at least possible that not only does God want His Name
honored,
but he wants His Name to be honored with the correct spelling.
that he Himself made known to the Jewish People thousands of years ago.

This assumes that it was the Masoretes that changed the Masoretic Text,
so that those who translated his name "as it was written"
mistakenly translated it as "Jehovah".

OF COURSE THEN AGAIN, MAYBE JEHOVAH [OR MAYBE YEHOVAH] IS CORRECT.
Or is it "Yahweh" or "Yahaweh" that is correct. :-)

Dave Donnelly

NewJerusalem Bible BUT occurs "ZERO" times in the underlying Hebrew.

> P.S. Why does this issue appear to be ignored on B-Hebrew?

You clearly, David, have a religious interest in this question which is
not
shared by the majority of people on the list.  For me, the precise
spelling
or pronunication is purely of academic interest.

N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Classics and Bible Instructor, TAA
http://www.theamericanacademy.net
(2010 Savatori Excellence in Education Winner)
Mentor, TNARS
http://www.tnars.net

http://mysite.verizon.net/nebarry