[b-hebrew] Pharaoh Khepera'a in Jeremiah 44:30

Arnaud Fournet fournet.arnaud at wanadoo.fr
Sat Jul 24 23:05:55 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il>
To: <b-hebrew at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Saturday, July 24, 2010 9:43 PM
Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Pharaoh Khepera'a in Jeremiah 44:30

> "Conventional wisdom" is that "Hophra" in Jer. 44:33 is the same as the
> king
> that the Greek historians call Apries, 4th king of the 26th dynasty, who
> ruled from 589 to 570 BCE. The form "Khepera" is not the name of a king,
> but
> rather a title of the sun god Re, actually referring to the sacred dung
> beetle. But if you or anyone else think that "Hophra" should be identified
> with someone else, I'm sure that we would all be happy to hear your
> evidence.
>
> Yigal Levin
***

My objection is not about Hophra being the same as Apries. I have no opinion
about that.

I have a problem with Khepera being compared with Hophra.
The pronunciation kh_p_r is archaic Egyptian. Coptic is palatalized sh_p
Archaic *khapar > Coptic shop
Phonetically something is wrong.

Arnaud Fournet