[b-hebrew] Mythoi kai Kerygmata

Barry nebarry at verizon.net
Wed Jul 21 12:49:52 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Arnaud Fournet" <fournet.arnaud at wanadoo.fr>
To: "Barry" <nebarry at verizon.net>; <b-hebrew at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 10:20 AM
Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Nooo! Don't go!

I had stated that I was going to leave this be, but felt that some sort of
response was necessary here.

> Hmhm.
> Anyway I'm not one of "many students".
> This is a forum among listees here, as far as I understand it.
> You're not "teaching" me anything, we are discussing on a par.
> Hope this helps.
> A.
> ***

I must admit I was a bit surprised at the, shall we say, vehemence of your
response, but I suspect a "world view" clash here.  As for myself, I always
consider myself a student, and I believe that anyone at anytime may have
something to teach me, if only I'm willing to listen.

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mythology

> Wikipedia is just a huge heap of amateurish crap trying to masquerade as
> knowledge.
> I'm afraid you missed an opportunity to convince me you are professional
> and competent.
> I would rather consider a reference to a relevant book written by some
> competent individual.
> So far, erh, well, to put it short, well: none... nothing...

Sigh.  The reason I picked the Wiki article was because it was Q&E.  Did you
think I didn't vet the article before I posted it?  It happens to reflect
the "consensus academicus" on the subject.  Some of the ideas may be new to
you, but that doesn't mean that they're new or non-standard.

As for Wikipedia, I used to think the same, until I interacted with other
academics on the issue, and actually started reading some of the articles in
subject areas I knew something about.  Now, I wouldn't recommend it anymore
than I would recommend any encyclopedia, but the interesting thing is the
self correcting nature of the articles.  It can at least be a place to
start, just like any other secondary source.

If you like, here is an article from the Columbia Encyclopedia:

http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/mythology.aspx

Anything here inconsistent with the Wiki article?  Myth isn't so much about
content, but use.

> lol
> Anyway the forum is about "the discussion of Biblical Hebrew language and
> literature."
> I don't buy your "hit-and-run" rhetorics about throwing some huge
> provocative pseudo-truth and then expect that huge crap to be left
> unanswered.
> Dirty tricks for retarded rabbits of the day, aren't they?
> Hope this helps again.

Again, you are entitled to your opinion, but if you think that this is a
discussion *inter pares*, you might want to act like it.

> By the way, do you have anything relevant to say about "Biblical Hebrew
> language and literature"?

Certainly -- our understanding of "myth" is integral to our understanding of
the Hebrew Bible.  Classical and Biblical scholars have a certain agreement
on what they mean by the terminology, and clarifying is usually helpful.

N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Classics and Bible Instructor, TAA
http://www.theamericanacademy.net
(2010 Savatori Excellence in Education Winner)
Mentor, TNARS
http://www.tnars.net

http://mysite.verizon.net/nebarry