[b-hebrew] Mythology (Was: Nooo! Don't go!)

Arnaud Fournet fournet.arnaud at wanadoo.fr
Wed Jul 21 10:06:07 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Spinti" <JSpinti at Eisenbrauns.com>
To: <b-hebrew at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 3:03 PM
Subject: [b-hebrew] Mythology (Was: Nooo! Don't go!)

> Arnaud,
>
> What Barry is saying is technically correct among people who study
> "mythology" and History of Religions.
***
No
I cannot accept that as "technically" correct.
We are in paroxismical fallacy and crap here.
A.
***

The popular mind equates mythology
> with fiction, which is where the problem comes. I run into this all the
> time. In the U.S. there are several very strong myths that we tell
> ourselves, besides the Washington cherry tree incident.
***
ok
In that kind of "myths", we also have Lenin giving his winter fur-coat to a
poor beggar.
I disagree with this implicit assimilation of mythology or myth with
political propaganda.
I disagree.
Period.
A.
***

> The Big Bang, while a scientific statement, is actually a creation myth
> (don't start
> an argument over whether it is true or not! That is not the point).
***
Pff
What's that hogwash again.
There is no big bang at all in science. What we have here is an inadequate
conversion of energy levels into a fake time-frame.
Physics does not deal with big bang. You're trying to convert journalistic
sensationalism into a scientific statement. That conversion is crap in the
first place.
I buy zero of that crap.
Try to understand what physics states first.
A.
****

> Myths are very powerful, which is why they are used. If you follow
> post-modernism, you might call them metanarratives.
>
> And now, perhaps some Hebrew :)
>
> James
***
You have a strange way of throwing pseudo-truths about the place and then
trying to "conclude" as if your thrown-out pseudo-truths were not supposed
to be answered and discussed.
I don't buy this pseudo-authoritative hogwash as conclusive.

I don't know the "rules" here, as I'm a new-comer.
Anyway, what is the connection between your pseudo-authoritative blather and
the avowed purpose of the forum "B-Hebrew is a forum dedicated to the
discussion of Biblical Hebrew language and literature"??
What is the relevance of your crap about big bang here, in regards with the
purpose of the list?
Your crap is not just crap, your crap is off-topic in the first place, as
far as I understand the purpose of the forum.

By the way, do you have anything relevant to say about "Biblical Hebrew
language and literature"?

Best

Arnaud Fournet.