[b-hebrew] Mythology in the Hebrew Bible

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 21 10:13:56 EDT 2010

   For those interested in the subject:

 Myth and Legend in the Old Testament
    by Theodor Gaster

The work is based on Frazer's classic, but about 90% of the material in this book was collected by Gaster. Those interested may be suprised.

  James, I wonder if it is still in print, if not, it should be.

   Uri Hurwitz                           Wilmington VT

[b-hebrew] Mythology
James Spinti JSpinti at Eisenbrauns.com
Wed Jul 21 09:03:28 EDT 2010

Arnaud,

What Barry is saying is technically correct among people who study
"mythology" and History of Religions. The popular mind equates mythology
with fiction, which is where the problem comes. I run into this all the
time. In the U.S. there are several very strong myths that we tell
ourselves, besides the Washington cherry tree incident. The Big Bang,
while a scientific statement, is actually a creation myth (don't start
an argument over whether it is true or not! That is not the point).

Myths are very powerful, which is why they are used. If you follow
post-modernism, you might call them metanarratives.

And now, perhaps some Hebrew :)

James
James Spinti
Marketing Director, Book Sales Division