[b-hebrew] Nooo! Don't go!

Arnaud Fournet fournet.arnaud at wanadoo.fr
Wed Jul 21 04:23:06 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Barry" <nebarry at verizon.net>
To: <b-hebrew at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 7:46 AM
Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Nooo! Don't go!

I have used evolution as an example of current mythology.  It's used to
explain origins, to explain human and animal behavior, etc., etc.  Doesn't
matter whether it's true or not -- it functions mythically in our culture.
***

This strikes me as being a complete fallacy.
Evolution is about scientific knowledge. There are explicit criteria to know
if something is scientific or not.
And Evolution doubtless has nothing to do with "mythology" unless one has a
very idiosyncratic and hyper-extensive approach of that word, which would
nearly amounts to equating any kind of knowledge with mythology.

In all cases I tend to think that the word "mythology" is somewhat flawed
from the start.
This word is tainted by the Greek mythology and the major problem is that
the Ancient Greeks no longer "believed in" their own "mythology" in the
first place. They dealt with it as entertainment and moralistic fairy tales.
Normally we would expect people to believe in their own "myths" and take
them in earnest, not to laugh at them. It should be a cultural given with an
emotional and personal involvement.

I don't know if there is another word that would not convey the implicit
idea that it's just fake and absurd stuff that hangs in the distance.
***

Back to Hebrew.  This list is about Hebrew, isn't it?
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

***
yes,
but I had first to address the statement you made above.

Arnaud Fournet