[b-hebrew] Pharaoh Khepera'a in Jeremiah 44:30

George Athas George.Athas at moore.edu.au
Tue Jul 20 00:22:00 EDT 2010

Passion is fine. Vitriol is, I believe, unnecessary these days. We can conduct scholarship without it. In any case, I find some of Kitchen's arguments unconvincing. They have assumptions and logical leaps which, as far as I can tell, either ignore certain aspects of 'minimalist' arguments, or don't understand them properly. I'm not saying he has nothing to contribute. Far from it. But I think his arguments are often lacking some essence.

And, Will, without starting up a discussion on minimalism...

Minimalism argues that when reconstructing history, the Bible should be used minimally, if at all, since it is either unreliable, too far removed from the events, or not aiming to be historical anyway. Maximalism argues that the Bible should be used in historical reconstruction because it is totally reliable about historical facts. And there's an entire spectrum between these two poles.

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au