[b-hebrew] Pharaoh Khepera'a in Jeremiah 44:30

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 19:48:39 EDT 2010

Uri:

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 2:46 PM, Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  In this verse the MT vocalization is H(.)oPHra(
>
>  One good English transliteration is Hophra.
>
>  One can look him up in K.A. Kitchen's indispensable On the Reliability of
> the Old Testament. Incidentally, in this book the author attacks sharply the
> minimalists negative position on biblical history.
>

>  Uri  Hurwitz                        Wilmington VT
>
> Thanks. With the help of those who answered me, I looked it up and found
that the Greeks called him Apries, a clue that the Hebrew pronunciation
could have been XaPeRi(e and looking at his history, things didn’t go very
well for him. (It has been so long since I read Tanakh in pointed Hebrew
that I didn’t think of looking at the points.)

Yet Kenneth Kitchen is not a literalist—looking at his writings, he does not
take the Biblical dates as written, so he may be termed a super-maximalist.

Karl W. Randolph.