[b-hebrew] Asher again

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 12:17:09 EDT 2010

Uzi:

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 5:55 AM, Uzi Silber <uzisilber at gmail.com> wrote:

> HI all,
> Does anyone here think that Asher could be a Canaanite name -- a masculine
> version of Ashera? After all, the traditional symbol of the tribe of Asher
> was a tree. And isnt that the definition of an ashera?
> uzi
>
> It depends.

If one accepts that Genesis is true history and contains an accurate account
of why Leah name one of her sons Asher, then no way. The story records that
the name is based upon the expectation that she would be counted as happy
because she bore a son.

On the other hand, if one accepts the modern mythology that Genesis was
first penned over a millennium after the events were recorded to have
happened, then I suppose that anything goes. But this is speculation that
has no basis in the text.

Karl W. Randolph.