[b-hebrew] Jerusalem

Garth Grenache garthgrenache at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 13 00:41:19 EDT 2010

Thanks Yitzhak for your excellent reply! (and for showing me I mistakenly posted off-list)

So then, do you
suppose that the longer spelling YRWShLYM entered the text of the Hebrew
 Bible by the original authors of Esther and 1Chronicles?  Or from a
later scribe?

When do you envisage this spelling coming into the
Hebrew Bible?

I notice in the ~66 C.E. coin, that the spelling is
 new, but the script is old!
Is this the earliest known occurrence of
 this spelling?
Is there reason to suggest that the spelling was much
 earlier?

Actually, there is evidence for a short 'e' (segol) in
the Aramaic pronunciation, in Dan 5:2; 5:3; 6:10; and in the Aramaic
parts of Ezra.  It seems the Aramaic pronunciation found in the MT
typically (maybe always?) is with a short 'e' in the last syllable.

If
 the Jews of the revolt against Pagan lordship produced this spelling,
YRWShLYM, it may have been to combat Pagan influence on the
pronunciation of the word, to mark the final vowel as long, and not
short as in Aramaic.  Wasn't it all about taking Jerusalem back under
Jewish rule?

The use of the old 'paleo' script on their coins *5
centuries after it began to fall out of use* may likewise indicate an
intentional resistance from Aramaic(pagan) influence.  [The square
script which replaced the paleo script was taken from Aramaic writing.]

"Our
 city! Our script! Our pronunciation!" maybe?

Garth Grenache.