[b-hebrew] Jerusalem

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Thu Jul 8 04:03:44 EDT 2010

George, you make some interesting points, especially the Greek evidence that the shift from "Yerushalem" to "Yerushalayim" seems to have occurred during the late 2nd century BCE.

However, I have some comments on your explanations for the shift.

1. In general, the ending "-ayim" for place-names has nothing to do with the dual. Adoraim does not have two "adora"s, Shaaraim does NOT have two gates (despite the recent erroneous identification of Khirbet Qeiyafa with a town by this name). This was dealt with by A. Demsky, "Hebrew Names in the Dual Form and the Toponym Yerushalayim", In Demsky, A. ed. These Are the Names: Studies in Jewish Onomastics, vol. 3. Ramat Gan: 2002, 11-20; Y. Elitzur, Ancient Place Names in the Holy Land: Preservation and History, Jerusalem and Winona Lake, 2004, 282–290; N. Na'aman, Shaaraim – The Gateway to the Kingdom of Judah. Journal of Hebrew Scriptures 8: Article 24.

2. The "Mishneh" ("secondary") quarter of Jerusalem, whatever part of the city it refers to, is mentioned only in late pre-exilic contexts in 2 Kings 22:14 and its parallel in 2 Chr. 34:22, as the dwelling-place of Huldah the prophetess, and perhaps poetically in Zeph. 1:10. In is not mentioned (AFAIK) in post-exilic contexts. Since, as we know from archaeology, the "newer" part of pre-exilic Jerusalem, the western hill that was first settled in the 8th century, was totally destroyed in 586, and NOT included in early Second Temple Jerusalem, which, until the mid 2nd century BCE, included only the eastern ridge. When the western hill was included in the city again, 450 years after it had been abandoned, it was called "The Upper City".

3. My guess is that the shift is an Aramaism, similar to Shomron - Shamrayin, Ophrah - Ephrayim (the place-name, not the tribe).

4. The fact that the MT, in a vast majority of cases, retains the consonantal text without the second Yod would seem to indicate that the tradition of reading "Yerishalem" was known and considered legitimate late enough, so that the Masoretes, who wanted to read "Yerushalayim", felt that they did not have the authority to add the Yod, so they made do with the vowel-points.

4. It is totally possible, that once the pronunciation "Yerushalayim" became widespread, people began interpreting it as a dual and coming up with all types of "midrashic" explanations, such as those that you suggest.

Yigal Levin