[b-hebrew] introduction

Will Parsons wbparsons at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jul 5 16:55:57 EDT 2010

Hello,

I've recently subscribed to the b-hebrew mailing list and according to the
introductory message I received when I subscribed, new members are encouraged
to "introduce themselves".  So, by way of introduction, I offer the following:

o  I have studied Hebrew over quite a long time now, but rather spottily, with
   the result that I cannot claim to have more than a mediocre knowledge of
   Hebrew (at best).  I.e., I can read the Bible in Hebrew, but not fluently,
   and only with frequent recourse to a dictionary.

o  I have studied quite a number (to varying degrees) of other languages
   (chiefly, though not exclusively, either Indo-European or Semitic), and
   have a good general knowledge of linguistics.

o  My "day job" is not concerned with Biblical studies, languages, or
   linguistics, but rather computer science.

o  I became aware of this group when it became available as a news group via
   Gmane, and although I prefer news groups to mailing lists, it appears that
   one can only post via the mailing list, not Gmane, so I have subscribed to
   the list.

--
William Parsons <wbparsons at alum.mit.edu>