[b-hebrew] why?

Donald R. Vance, Ph.D. donaldrvance at mac.com
Fri Jul 2 16:52:23 EDT 2010

Pere:

The anaptyctic seghôl exerted such pressure that it entirely replaced
the a in the a-class segholates (e.g., *málek --> mélek) and even the
i in a few i-class segholates (e.g., *qíber --> *qéber), but not the
o of the u-class segholates. (In the course of the development of
Hebrew, the u became o in the u-class segholates, *qúde$ --> *qóde$.)
Finally, since it is a characteristic of Biblical Hebrew that the
vowel in the accented syllable of nouns is normally lengthened, the i
of the i-class segholates became ê (i.e., sêrê) and the o of the u-
class segholates became ô (i.e., hôlem), but, the accented seghôl of
the a-class segholates (and of the i-class segholates that had one)
was not lengthened.

Donald R. Vance, Ph.D.
Professor of Biblical Languages and Literature
Oral Roberts University
dvance at oru.edu
donaldrvance at mac.com