[b-hebrew] Ts'laph'chadh

Yodan yodan at yodanco.com
Mon Dec 27 02:06:31 EST 2010

I'm not discussing the meaning of the names, just one of the vowels in two
of them...

I believe that there's a Kamatz Katan under LAMED in the father's name and
under HEIT in the 3rd daughter's name - hence, Tzelophhad (note that the
vowel of PH is Shva NaH) and Hogla (note that the vowel of GIMEL is Shva
NaH). I know that the translations of the first name is Tzelophehad as if PH
has a Shva Na, but the reason for the E could be in order to avoid a
situation of PHH.

Any thoughts?

Rivka Sherman-Gold