[b-hebrew] Was the MT for public consumption?

Bryant J. Williams III bjwvmw at com-pair.net
Sat Dec 25 04:07:04 EST 2010

Dear Fred,

Read my post again. It answers most of your questions.

Now, regarding your second point. Modern scholarship is divided over whether there were one, two or three Isaiahs. Conservative scholarship treats Isaiah being produced by one person, the prophet Isaiah. Most modern scholarship treats Isaiah as being written by two, maybe three persons. It is based on the discredited JEDP theory of Graf-Welhausen. SEE archives for previous discussions. I gave you a very brief discussion. I will not comment further since it is going into areas limited by List guidelines. Remember, ALL we have is the text. To go beyond that is to give a pre-text which is no text at all. Basically, it is eisegesis not exegesis.

It appears that you are making the classic dichotomy between faith and fact. Faith and knowledge go hand in hand. Both are intuitive, intellectual and experiential. Both are used in determing fact from fiction. Unfortunately, too many people think that if something is stated by reason of faith that it is automatically fiction. As I said, "Faith and knowledge go hand in hand." Faith, belief, or trust is used in when determining the value placed in a document that is being used as a source whether it speaks of fact or fiction. Knowledge will lead a person so far. Faith takes up where knowledge leads off. It looks at what is presented before with knowledge and proceeds from there. This is not rocket science.

You seem to be questioning a lot of the presuppositions that are inherent in what has gone before. This is always good to a certain extant. But, sometimes, it could be construed as being pedantic or just arguing for argument sakes. An example would be when I teach the High Schoolers or College Age or, even, the Adults in Sunday School, or in the preaching services, I make several statements. First, I am a Christian. Second, I am a Baptist. I then ask the group that I am teaching or preaching to, "If you claim to be a Christian, 'Why are you a Christian?'" "If you are a Baptist, Why are you a Baptist?'" Give the reasons for your claims. This appears to me is what you are doing on the list. If I am wrong, then please correct me and accept my apologies. In fact, I may have inadvertantly exceeded List Guidelines. To the moderators, If I have please accept my apologies.

Now, Luke 4 and the use of Isaiah 61 in the Synagogue of Nazareth. It is clear that Jesus read from the Hebrew text (See Commentary on the NT Use of the OT). He sat down and proclaimed that the Scripture passage was fulfilled. It is also apparent that the congregation was being read to and that they understood the Hebrew (at least according to all the evidence from antiquity and archaeology). It is also possible, maybe probable, that it was read in Hebrew, translated into Aramaic for the congregation. That is why I told George that it is more than likely both/and not either/or.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III