[b-hebrew] Was the MT for public consumption?

David P Donnelly davedonnelly1 at juno.com
Fri Dec 24 11:55:44 EST 2010

fred burlingame tensorpath at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 10:27:16 EST 2010
fred burlingame wrote:
in the message posted below

"facts vs. faith ...

we have complete:

a. a 5th century greek manuscript;

b. a 10th century hebrew manuscript; and

c. a 15th century aramaic manuscript,

of the same story.

the rest is faith.

regards,

fred burlingame

Dave writes,

I would add to the list:
d. The dead Sea Scrolls, with the understanding [which I not sure is true
or false,]  that the Hebrew Consonants that occur in the Dead Sea Scrolls
are almost 100% identical to the Hebrew Consonants that are found in the
Extant Leningrad Codex of 1008-1010 A.D.

Now fred burlingame raises the issue of "faith" to the list, and  I
assume he adds "faith" to the list as a Jewish believer in Old Testament
Scripture, while I add "faith" to my list as a Christian believer in the
Hebrew Leningrad Codex, who has been taught that "All Scripture is given
by inspiration of God".

It is at least possible that the faith issue is more difficult for me to
deal with than it is for Fred to deal with it..

I am deeply involved in the issue of what God's name is, while it is my
impression  that is not an issue that Jewish Believers are troubled with.

Although I have discovered in my study of Codex L. that 6 different
vocalizations of YHWH occur in Codex L.,  I think of those six variant
vocalizations of YHWH that occur in Codex L. as a puzzle to be dealt
with, rather than some insurmountable obstacle  to deal with.

I pause at this moment and ask the moderators of this Discussion Board if
I should continue on my present line of dialogue,  or should I just
completely withdraw from this particular thread.

Dave Donnelly