[b-hebrew] Pr 21:30 - ("CFH

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Mon Dec 20 16:00:13 EST 2010

The fact of the matter is that you correctly parsed the word as being
plural and pertaining to a female, which means that Hebrew is a flexible
language that lends itself to certain grammatically creative adaptations,
and that the "anomalous" may be as good and as fine as the "normal".
Dr. Barqaly in his LUAX HA-SHEMOT HA-SHALEM has the "correct" plural form
of ECAH as ECOT, and the "correct" NIYSMAK form as ACOT, with a
XATAP-PATAX under the letter ayin; and then ACOTAYIK.
I tend to think that in spontaneous  Hebrew speech it is ECOTAYIK, with
the purists undoubtedly frowning upon this word form as being a "mistake",
and the realists dismissing this scorn as mere yokel pedantry.

Isaac Fried, Boston University

Pere Porta said:
In Is 47:13 we find noun (ACFTFYIK, your counsels (of a female).
I do not understand why and how the plural (construct) of noun ("CFH,
counsel (Pr 21:30) takes a qamats in letter tsade and not a holam.

Is this something usual (in the Bible) for this noun type? Is it an
anomalous behaviour?

And if this is a quite anomalous behaviour.... how can we distingish the
normal from the anomalous?

Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain)