[b-hebrew] pere's question on he/she/him/her

Nir cohen - Prof. Mat. nir at ccet.ufrn.br
Fri Dec 17 15:43:49 EST 2010

pere,

SHEM HAPOAL is a noun which indicates both root and binyan. when used in
SMIXUT with a suffix, it always indicates NOSE HAPOAL, not NESU
HAPOAL. (in your words, "he" and not "him"). however, whether it
would be active or passive depends on the binyan. compare LIDTAH and
HIVALDAH (give birth vs. be born). also, gender (m/f), guf (1/2/3)
and number (s/p) should agree with the NOSE HAPOAL.

as to NESU HAPOAL, it cannot enter as a suffix, and has to appear in separate:
LIDTA OTO, LEDET OTO. this is not so in non-noun verb forms, eg HA'ALUHU,
HE'ELUHU, YA'ALUHU, where we have two suffixes.

the present tense behaves like a noun rather than a verb. for example, it does
not agree with guf, only with gender and number. so it also does not
admit a NESU HAPOAL. YOLEDET OTO.

YOLADETO seems a counter example, but as YOLEDET here does not describe
an action but a person, we do not have POAL, hence NOSE/NESU HAPOAL, to begin
with, and so there is no problem.

nir cohen