[b-hebrew] izaak on XELED

Nir cohen - Prof. Mat. nir at ccet.ufrn.br
Fri Dec 17 12:32:40 EST 2010

> The Hebrew root is not isolated, it is not a GALMUD גלמוד ; it
> has an extended family. It appears to me that the root XLD חלד is a
> variant of
גלד, גלש>
חלד, חלז, חלט, חלץ, חלש>
*קלד, קלט, קלס, קלש>>
>and that XLD means essentially 'encrusted, solid'. It is not
>absolutely clear what the biblical XOLED is, but it is possibly an
>encrusted or shelled animal, or reptile, such as our CAB צב or
>XILAZON חלזון from the root חלז (or possibly GALASH), that is
>enclosed in a GELED גלד shell, from which it NEXLAC נחלץ and
>into which it NIQLAT נקלט
>The post-biblical XALUDAH (possibly influenced by Greek) is an oxide
>GELED or tarnish. It appears to me related to XELAH חלאה

> Isaac Fried, Boston university

isaac, i doubt it whether there is ANY common denominator between ALL these
words  (except maybe GULA$...? :) )

your argument for it is somewhat arbitrary, too. most of our daily
experience is with encrusted and/or solid objects. most of them, like EC,
EVEN, QIR, CUQ, QERAX, E$ET (i hope by now my spelling is more correct) are
not derived from these roots. not even the word MUCAQ. so why would
"encrusted, solid" characterize the feeble XILAZON and not the solid E$ET?

finally, if indeed XELED really belongs to the class of words describing
abstract colossal concepts (like "life", "world", "time" etc),
i would hardly expect it to derive from this or that material quality,
to the exclusion of the other material properties (here, excluding MAIM
and $AMAIM, among others. which, according to Gen. 1, were supposedly
at the very beginning of it all...

...AND assuming that XELED refers to the material world, a fact which not all
of us accept in the first place.

nir cohen