[b-hebrew] Rashis Translation of Isaiah 9:6/5

Harold Holmyard hholmyard3 at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 17 09:28:22 EST 2010

Joseph,
> I have read several Jewish Translations of this verse and was shocked how
> rashi seems to have another take on this verse, is this more of a fringe
> translation in Judaism, where the child is only called the prince of peace?
> My understanding of the verse always stemmed from the Hebrew in light of the
> LXX and the Latin Vulgate with the child not having names of God but rather
> "Wonderous, Advisor, mighty Judge, father of the age to come."
> For a child has been born to us, a son given to us, and the authority is
> upon his shoulder, and the wondrous adviser, the mighty God, the everlasting
> Father, called his name, "the prince of peace."- Rashi's Translationf of
> Isaiah 9:6/5

Well, if the majority of Jewish translations go one way, and Rashi goes
another, then on this particular passage he could be on the fringe. Here
are a few Jewish translations:

JPS Isaiah 9:6 (9-5) For a child is born unto us, a son is given unto
us; and the government is upon his shoulder; and his name is called
Pele- joez-el-gibbor-Abi-ad-sar-shalom;

LXE (Brenton's translation of th LXX) Isaiah 9:6 For a child is born to
us, and a son is given to us, whose government is upon his shoulder: and
his name is called the Messenger of great counsel: for I will bring
peace upon the princes, and health to him.

TNK JPS Isaiah 9:5 For a child has been born to us, A son has been given
us. And authority has settled on his shoulders. He has been named "The
Mighty God is planning grace; The Eternal Father, a peaceable ruler"

These three can arguably avoid any idea that the child has a divine name.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard