[b-hebrew] on eternity

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Thu Dec 16 08:36:42 EST 2010

The Hebrew root is not isolated, it is not a GALMUD גלמוד ; it
has an extended family. It appears to me that the root XLD חלד is a
variant of
גלד, גלש
חלד, חלז, חלט, חלץ, חלש
*קלד, קלט, קלס, קלש
and that XLD means essentially 'encrusted, solid'. It is not
absolutely clear what the biblical XOLED is, but it is possibly an
encrusted or shelled animal, or reptile, such as our CAB צב or
XILAZON חלזון from the root חלז (or possibly GALASH), that is
enclosed in a GELED גלד shell, from which it NEXLAC נחלץ and
into which it NIQLAT נקלט
The post-biblical XALUDAH (possibly influenced by Greek) is an oxide
GELED or tarnish. It appears to me related to XELAH חלאה

Isaac Fried, Boston university