[b-hebrew] Fish and Tree

pastormattfbcrankin pastormattfbcrankin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 21:16:53 EST 2010

Hello Fred,

I'm afraid one of those isn't the best example.

עץ = Tree, AND wood, lumber, sticks, kindling, wooden instruments, spear shafts etc, etc.

Did the widow say to Elijah that she was gathering two trees to make a fire?

Did Moses throw an entire tree into the waters at Marah? (I never realized he was so strong!)

In Numbers 35:18, is this only applicable to someone who can wield a whole tree?

Every language that I know (which isn't very many BTW) runs into the same issues.  Words derive meaning from their context.  Words have a range of meaning.   I guess what I'm saying is, why try to force the language to do something that it isn't intended to do?

I will give you this though....you have stirred up quite a bit of dust on the list, as well as luring a lurker or two (like myself) out of the shadows.

Warmest Regards,

--Matthew Williams