[b-hebrew] one-to-one rendering of olam

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Sun Dec 12 19:48:29 EST 2010

2. OLAM essentially means 'tall and fat'.

3. As for the translation of Eccl. 3:11
    King James: He hath made every thing beautiful in his time: also
he hath set the world in their heart, so that no man can find out the
work that God maketh from the beginning to the end.

    The New American Standard Bible: He has made everything
appropriate in its time He has also set eternity in their heart, yet
so that man will not find out the work which God has done from the
beginning even to the end.

    Luther: Er aber tut alles fein zu seiner Zeit und läßt ihr Herz
sich ängsten, wie es gehen solle in der Welt; denn der Mensch kann
doch nicht treffen das Werk, das Gott tut, weder Anfang noch Ende.

Isaac Fried, Boston University