[b-hebrew] one-to-one rendering of olam

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Sat Dec 11 19:56:01 EST 2010

King James translates Jonah 2:6(7) as: I went down to the bottoms of
the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever. The
English etymology of 'ever' is uncertain, but both 'forever' and 'for
eternity' are merely turns of speech for long, long time, an
indefinite period of time, an occurrence with no end in sight.
Nowadays MA-ASAR OLAM is 'life in prison', but even this may not last
"forever".

Isaac Fried, Boston University