[b-hebrew] one-to-one rendering of olam

Bryant J. Williams III bjwvmw at com-pair.net
Sat Dec 11 18:30:42 EST 2010

Dear Fred,

[Bryant]
I think all the articles are based on how the word is used. I do not see that a theological bias is being applied to the word. It is possible, but not probable. Another thing is that the article states, "Probably derived from 'alam I, "to hide," thus pointing to what is hidden in the distant future or in the distant past. The Ugaritic cognate is 'lm, "eternity." The reasoning for this identification of the root is assuming that the initial letter is pronounced, ayin, and not ghayin (see #1629, 'lm, pp. 671-672.) The problem is that 'alam, 'almah and 'olam are from the same root. Thus, if the initial letter is an ayin then it is the parent of 'olam and means "hidden, concealed." Now, the initial letter is ghayin, then it is the parent of 'elem and 'almah meaning "young man and young woman, respectively.

[Fred]
"Boosting the meaning of עולם into "eternal" orbit, seems to me a clear case of theological license, at least in so far as the leningrad codex uses the term."

[Bryant]
Each of the sources are quite consistent with regards the basic of meaning of 'olam. This does not mean that there has been eisegesis. Each is looking at the context that the word is being used. Just because that is what the tradition states does not mean that the tradition is inaccurate. It is quite clear from the amount of material that the word is found in that a different range of meanings are found.

It is the context that determines meaning. Any time one takes a text out of context is creating a pretext and, thus, has no text at all. That is eisegesis.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III