[b-hebrew] Ecc 4:3

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Sat Dec 11 17:59:53 EST 2010

1. The root (D ( עד ) appears to me to be a variant of (among
other) )Z ( אז ) and (Z ( עז ), expressing existence, and
corresponding to the English 'is'.

2. The root is extended by the addition of personal pronouns, or
identity markers.

3. The word (AD-EN of Eccl. 4:3 appears to me to be like the current
ADAYIN עדין, the Aramaic EDAYIN אדין (see Dan. 2:17) and the
Hebrew AZAY אזי (see Ps. 124:3), with the addition -EN to serve as
an identity marker for the occurrence for which (AD is used.

Isaac Fried, Boston University