[b-hebrew] Song of Songs 1:12

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 18:41:32 EST 2010

Pere:

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 10:32 PM, Pere Porta <pporta7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Karl,
>
> remark that in verse 3 "fragances" appear and that in verse 4 we read: "the
> king has brought me into his chambers".

This looks like a case of collapsing contexts: both ריח and המלך are used in
different contexts than they are found in verse 12, hence my question.

> Now, concerning the possibilities you mention (verbs malal, mul):
> In a general way, only "malal" would be possible, not "mul".
> Look here:
>
> www.oham.net/out/PS-d/PS-d390p.html
>
> and also at
>  www.oham.net/out/PS-d/PS-d394.html

I got “404 error”s on both URLs.

> But........ then..... what would verse 12 mean?
>
> If you ask: "Why not "mul"?,

Still asking, as I have not seen your evidence to the contrary.

> you know my answer: because in the English language there are no nouns
> having their plural ending in -k

I am reading this as a -K suffix, not as a plural noun. (I assume you meant
“Hebrew”, not “English”.) Right now I am guessing (until shown a better
option) that this is a hophal with a second person singular suffix.

> (My 2 cents)
>
> Hearty,
>
> Pere Porta
> (Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain)

I found the whole book of Song of Songs a difficult read, because of its
many, many allusions. This is the type of document where one has to be very,
very careful in his lexicography to recognize those allusions.

Like Qohelet, this book is also more colloquial than most of the other
books, which can cause some difficulties. It fits the historical claim that
those two books are from the same pen.

>From its other uses in Tanakh, I suspect that נרד refers to a fragrant plant
grown in special gardens, not a prepared spice as I understand the English
translation.

Karl W. Randolph.