[b-hebrew] Song of Songs 1:12

Steve Miller smille10 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 9 21:16:14 EST 2010

[Steve Miller] How about the verb מלך, to become king? My verb table gives  המלך as a nifal infinitive noun of מלך, and also as nifal imperative singular, or hufal perf 3ms.  But I can't get these to make sense. "Until you become king ...", but as Pere said, he is already king in v4.

> Right now, I am leaning toward an understanding that the verse means, “Until you
> cause it to be plucked off, my nard gives off its scent in its surroundings.”

[Steve Miller] My verb table only shows "cut off"  as a possibility as a nifal infinitive noun with a 2s suffix, "your cutting off".  Does this mean "you" are the one cut off, or "you" are the one doing the cutting off?

Maybe it means: Until the king is round about, my nard gives forth its fragrance.
Where "the king is round about" means he has left his chambers which we entered in v4.

> Any thoughts?
>

> Karl W. Randolph.
[Steve Miller]
Sincerely,
-Steve Miller
Detroit
www.voiceInWilderness.info
Blessed is the man who walks not in
the world's counsel of sin,
nor standeth in the sinners' way,
nor with the scornful stays,
because he delights in the law
of the Lord, and in awe
he meditates both day and night.
His mind is being made right. (Psalm 1:1-2)