[b-hebrew] Song of Songs 1:12

Paul Zellmer pzellmer at sc.rr.com
Thu Dec 9 15:17:07 EST 2010

Fred,

עד עולם is a prepositional phrase which may be literally translated, "up to perpetuity."  עולם is frequently found with other spacial prepositions, like מן, "from" (referring to the past), and ל, "to."

Considering your penchant for using non-standard English syntax, you probably would appreciate that the Hebrew sometimes omits the head of the prepositional phrase when עד is used, resulting in the same concept as עד עולם.  Basically, what is being said in such cases is, "Something is true until."  Until what?  Until the period of time being talked about (even if it is never specified) is over.  This type usage, by the way, can be found in numerous languages around the world.

Anyway, the most basic meaning of עד is not "forever," but is the prepositional idea of "to the point of."

Hope this helps,

Paul Zellmer