[b-hebrew] Song of Songs 1:12

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 18:24:53 EST 2010

Song of Songs 1:12, what does it mean?

The phrase עד אשר means “until” indicating the completion of an action,
either time wise, or the desired result has been achieved. Here we find the
אשר as a prefix.

As a noun, מסב is found only here and in 2 Kings 23:5. In the latter place
it refers to the surrounding territory, i.e. “surroundings”, so here it
should have the same meaning, though the “territory” would be much smaller,
maybe confined to one room.

Here is my question: what does המלך mean? Is it from the verb מלל meaning to
make a statement? Or from מול meaning to clip or pluck off, used also for to
circumcise? Or is there some other word that I have not considered?

Right now, I am leaning toward an understanding that the verse means, “Until
you cause it to be plucked off, my nard gives off its scent in its
surroundings.”

Any thoughts?

Karl W. Randolph.