[b-hebrew] ejectment vs. extermination

fred burlingame tensorpath at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 23:13:13 EST 2010

Hello Karl:

Thanks for your comments.

This forum is conducted in the english language (versus biblical hebrew
("BH") language). So, to a not inconsiderable extent, we have to discuss in
english words, the meanings of BH words.

I suppose one of the points I was trying to make; does ירש mean
"exterminate?" Your comments seem to confirm that the greek verb "destroy"
fits within the secondary meanings of ירש .

Perhaps another example will clarify the situation.

In the second clause of Isaiah 40:3, the operative hebrew verb פנה appears;
and generally means "turn" or "face." The septuagint however, uses a
corresponding word meaning "prepare." And hence, the question becomes; does
פנה mean "prepare?" The niv committee apparently prefers that meaning over
"face" or "turn."

I guess the question distills to: does the greek septuagint define the
meaning of the masoretic text hebrew words? It seems like a question
susceptible of a simple "yes" or "no" answer. .... But apparently not.

regards,

fred burlingame