[b-hebrew] Both right?

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Wed Dec 8 06:32:03 EST 2010

1. A curious question. What do you mean by "are both forms right?",
is the HB wrong?
2. I think that the dagesh preceded the NIYKUD. An unusual dagesh
means, in my opinion, that the NAKDAN (or NAKDANIYM) decided to
override an existing reading tradition.
2. A dagesh is expected after a QUBUC in a letter not marked by a Schwa.
3. Dr. SHAUL BARQALIY in his, widely used, "the complete table of names"
דר שאול ברקלי: לוח השמות השלם
brings both forms.
4. The Hebrew "Academy" has no authority to dictate right and wrong
(even though they pretend to have it, speaking grandiosely about
their "decisions" in this or that matter). Being a rabbinical
institution they go out, anyway, from the assumption that the NIYKUD
was handed down to Moses on mount Sinai.

Isaac Fried, Boston University