[b-hebrew] YuLaD in Isa 9:5

Pere Porta pporta7 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 02:16:36 EST 2010

Indeed, Ken.
(Remark: it is not Qal but Pu'al)

This pattern (qubuts + dagesh + patah) is that of the Pu'al Perfect or Past.
We have other samples in Is 24:10, 1K 21:14...and so on.

Now, it is quite possible that a mistaking has been here for the pattern we
find in Gn 4:24 (yuqam), 2Ki 5:17 (yutan) and others: these yes, these are
Imperfect of future (Huph'al).

Compare:

www.oham.net/out/N-t/N-t137.html

with

 www.oham.net/out/P-d/P-d132.html

Heartly,

Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain)
2010/12/8 Kenneth Litwak <javajedi2 at yahoo.com>

> I've compared several translations of Isaiah 9:2-7 and I noticed that the
> New American Standard, unlike any other i read, renders YuLaD, Qal Perf.
> Pass., in Isa 9:5 as "will be born."  I don't see any reason to give this a
> future sense grammatically.  I suppose if it is clearly understood as
> someone future that might be plausible but not because of the tense. Thanks.
>
> Ken

Pere Porta