[b-hebrew] Genitives/construct state in Isa 9:5

Donald R. Vance, Ph.D. donaldrvance at mac.com
Tue Dec 7 21:42:16 EST 2010

PL> could be either absolute or construct (morphologically masculine
segholate nouns have identical abs and cs forms). YW<X is a participle
and is thus a verbal adjective (matching the noun/adjective
constructions that follow). Of course, adjectives can function as
nouns (as GBWR does elsewhere). Morphologically, >L could be either
abs or cs. >BY is definitely cs. Morphologically, CR could be either
abs or cs but is clearly cs in this instance. "Supernatural counselor"
doesn't seem possible to me for PL> YW<X. The word order is wrong. If
you connect them it would yield something like "a counseling miracle"
which doesn't make sense, at least to me. HALOT gives "a marvel of a
counselor." Go figure. Breaking up the pairs that can be separated
yields, "Miracle, Counselor, God, Hero, Eternal Father, Prince of
Peace," which makes good sense. JPS's "The Mighty God is planning
grace; The Eternal Father, a peaceable ruler" is an abortion.

Donald R. Vance, Ph.D.
Professor of Biblical Languages and Literature
Oral Roberts University
dvance at oru.edu
donaldrvance at mac.com