Daniel Buck bucksburg at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 6 14:03:24 EST 2010

From: K Randolph <kwrandolph at gmail.com>

Dewayne:

While the use of Jewish writings such as the Targums can be used as a
source to try to help with reading difficult passages, you have no
contrary argument from me.

As far as QCP against Israel in this particular context, we discussed
this issue a while back. Then I mentioned that there was QCP against
Israel even before Moab?s revolt, as seen in Elisha?s response to the
king of Israel. In fact, that could be the cause of Moab?s revolt. The
specific act of the king of Moab?s sacrifice of his son is not needed
to understand this act.

Karl W. Randolph.

Is it certain that the king of Moab sacrificed his own son?  Could we not
alternatively read it thus?

"the king of Moab . . .[tried] to break through to the king of Edom, but they
could not. Then he took [the king of Edom']s eldest son, that should have
reigned in his place, and offered him for a burnt offering upon the wall.

See Amos 2:1
"For three transgressions of Moab and for four I will not revoke its punishment,
Because he burned the bones of the king of Edom to lime."

Daniel Buck