[b-hebrew] 1 Kings 20:14 Who are the young men, princes of the districts?

JimStinehart at aol.com JimStinehart at aol.com
Fri Apr 30 09:12:07 EDT 2010

James Spinti:

You could help clarify a lot of dating issues, both as to the Amarna
Letters (which are filled with non-Semitic names) and chapter 14 of Genesis, for
Karl and for me and for many other people, if you would answer the following
questions about 3 apparently non-Semitic names in the “four kings against
five” at Genesis 14: 1-11.

1.  )RYWK

What is the meaning of this Hurrian name?  Though a Hurrian name, is it
based on a Hittite word, which in turn is based on an Indo-Aryan word, and does
it mean:  “Mr. Aryan”?  In any event, what is the meaning of the Hurrian
name )RYWK at Genesis 14: 1, 9?

2.  )LSR

Is Arioch’s kingly title the Hittite word “elassar”?  If so, why would the
kingly title of a person with a Hurrian name be a Hittite word?  Does
)LSR/elassar mean “place of omens” in Hittite?  In any event, from what language
is )LSR at Genesis 14: 1, 9 coming, what does it mean, and what is the
significance of its meaning?

3.  XCCN TMR

Is this city name at Genesis 14: 7 a Hurrian name?  Does it mean “the
wisdom of nine”?  If XCC is the root of XCCN TMR, do you think that Yigal Levin
and Anson Rainey have found a bona fide match in the Roman-era village Tamar,
either as to the name (a name which has nothing remotely like XCC), or as
to the timing (with the village of Tamar not being attested until over 1,000
years after the date as of which many scholars see chapter 11 of Genesis as
having been composed)?  Is that claimed scholarly match so rock-solid that
we should ignore the obvious fact that the Amorites referenced immediately
before XCCN TMR at Genesis 14: 7 are attested out the wazzoo in Lebanon in the
Late Bronze Age, while never being historically attested south of the Dead
Sea?  If chapter 14 of Genesis is truly ancient, as many scholars see it as
being, then how could it be so clueless as to the geographical locale of the
Horites/Hurrians in Genesis 14: 6 and the Amorites in Genesis 14: 7, as
scholars unanimously assert is the case?  Does the scholarly view of these
issues make sense?  You could greatly help in clearing up this confusion by
telling us from what language XCCN TMR is coming, and what it means.

You could go a long way in convincing Karl and me and others that
university scholars are honest and above-board, and are not hiding some big secret,
if you would give substantive answers to the foregoing questions about 3
names in chapter 14 of Genesis that appear to be non-Semitic names.  If we can
understand these names in the Masoretic Text, then we can decide if these are
the types of non-Semitic names that are commonplace in the Amarna Letters.
That in turn will help date both the Amarna Letters and chapter 14 of
Genesis.

We would all like to learn from your scholarly expertise in the ancient
languages as to the specifics of the foregoing 3 names from the “four kings
against five” at Genesis 14: 1-11.

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois