[b-hebrew] 1 Kings 20:14 Who are the young men, princes of the districts?

George Athas George.Athas at moore.edu.au
Tue Apr 27 22:50:12 EDT 2010

Karl,

I think you’re confusing two very different periods here. There was no Samaria during the Tel Amarna age, and Ben Hadad (whichever one of them we are talking about) is much, much later.

In any case, the use of נער in this context suggests that the author sees these officials as ‘new’ or ‘in training’ or in some way ‘junior’. I’d argue that this is what makes the incident so remarkable: Ben Hadad was defeated by the minor officials or trainees, showing just how ‘wet behind the ears’ he himself was.

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au