[b-hebrew] how different spellings got into the Hebrew Bible

George Athas George.Athas at moore.edu.au
Tue Apr 27 22:40:10 EDT 2010

Garth,

The Niphal is interested in seeing the subject as the recipient of the action. It is uninterested in where or with whom the action originates. So, technically, yes it could be reflexive. However, what would that mean? The Niphal of ישׁע has the basic sense of receiving aid from another party so as to be delivered from trouble or freed from a predicament. So, a reflexive sense here would be unusual.

I think the wider primary context of Zech 9.9 shows us Zerubbabel returning to Jerusalem after having been freed by his Persian overlords. I think צדיק in this verse carries the sense of exonerated and, therefore, declared to be right or ‘in the clear’. All this makes sense of the ‘prisoner’ imagery that comes a little later in the text.

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au