[b-hebrew] Inseparable Prepositions and that shewa

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Sun Apr 25 08:23:02 EDT 2010

I will reiterate my opinion that:
1. There is no schwa "NA" and no schwa "NACH". The NAKDANIM (which
were possibly QARAIM, but are elevated now, to coverup their doubtful
origin,  to the status of "Masorates") possibly followed a minimalist
pronunciation tradition, and in order to avoid the creeping back of
spurned vowels filled the vacant location under the letter by a
schwa. Now some people cunningly bring back some of these vowels by
the tricky subterfuge of the invented "semi-vowels" of the schwa "NA".
2. In reading the TNK I strive not "move" any schwa except in the B Q
L prepositions. Hebrew sounds to me very good and very right this way.
3. It is customary in spoken Hebrew to "move" the schwa under the B Q
L prepositions and make them sound BE, QE, LE, as though they were
separate words. To this I agree.
4. A schwa "NACH" is merely a schwa under a letter that should have
carried a dagesh XAZAQ. In case of BGDQPT it is moved forward to
become a dagesh QAL.

Isaac Fried, Boston University