[b-hebrew] Inseparable Prepositions and that shewa

Ryan Clan robert.ryan at xtra.co.nz
Sun Apr 18 17:20:01 EDT 2010

Hi Randall
Thanks for your response. I am taken with the idea of a shva medium, but
I still can't quite figure out in my own mind whether it solves the
problem, or adds to it!  More mulling required, I think.

If there is no phonemic difference between a vocal, silent and medium
shewa, what then is the mechanism at work causing a following
begadkephat letter to switch its dagesh lene (and presumably its
pronunciation) off and on in all the different situations we see it. If
the dagesh lene is not responding to a phonemic difference, what is it
responding to?

Modern Hebrew pronunciation of these letters is certainly a *practical*
option, and there is a lot to be said for a practical, working solution
that lets you move on. It was this pragmatism mixed with the juggernaut
of Modern Hebrew as a spoken language today, that has made me think that
MH is indeed at work influencing and pressuring the way we pronounce and
teach biblical Hebrew. I can't otherwise account for the differences in
pronunciation taught of not only the inseparable preposition, but also
with the vowels, the begadkephat letters, and the "waw." Or is it just a
happy coincidence that the more recent grammarians teach a pronunciation
that conforms so readily to modern Hebrew? Or perhaps some major
discovery of ancient pronunciation accounts for the trend? If Modern
Hebrew is not at work here, then what is?

There is a practical aspect to my question too. I learnt the ol' time
pronunciation seen in Weingreen et al, as you can see from my "waw" and
"shewa" but perhaps it is time I jumped ship? How did Weingreen get it
so wrong on all these counts?

As you can see I have been saving up my questions over the years fit to
bust!

Regards
Kay Christensen