[b-hebrew] Biblical Accents

Ryan Clan robert.ryan at xtra.co.nz
Tue Apr 13 19:03:06 EDT 2010

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions so far - I am checking the books
out, and am grateful for your ideas.

To answer Yitzhak's question: My interest is primarily in the
punctuation, rather than cantillation of accents, although I am now
wondering if it is possible, or right, to learn one without the other
given their multipurpose.

In college, accents were ignored and what I have learned to date has
been gleaned from the internet, as well as various grammars. The
material is thus a little haphazard and full of holes, but nonetheless I
have managed to collate a small bundle of helpful information, have a
good general appreciation of the subject, and the means to identify a
number of the accents and their functions (especially those in the 21
books) as well as make a fair, if untutored, attempt at analyzing verses.

However, when I recently got stuck on a verse in the Psalms, I realized
I would need a book dedicated to the purpose of explaining accents. The
trouble is, I come from New Zealand. As far as I know, there are neither
the people nor the institutions available to provide instruction beyond
basic Hebrew grammar and intermediate level reading (or if they are, I
don't know of them, which is why I was interested to know of any New
Zealanders on the group). Furthermore, I can't just pop into a bookshop
and browse the titles until I find what I want. My best hope is that I
can preview a title on googlebooks, otherwise it is a bit of a lucky dip
at three times the US price to import a book sight unseen into this
country. Hence, all pearls of wisdom would be most appreciated. If my
children are to starve for the sake of this purchase, I want it to be
worth it! :-)

Regards
Kay Christensen