[b-hebrew] dagesh forte and dagesh lene

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Tue Apr 6 20:49:28 EDT 2010

Formally, the punctuation of דְּבָרְךָ (with the personal
pronoun אכה instead of אתה ) is correct since there is a qamatz
under the B, and a dagesh (not "forte", nor "lene") does not follow a
qamatz. But, דְּבַרְכֶם (with the personal pronoun אכם
instead of אתם ) is irregular as the B is here marked with a patax.
A dages follows a patax, but if the next letter has a schwa, then the
dagesh is moved forward, so that we should have had here
*דְּבַרְכֶּם with a hard K.
I believe the dagesh (that in my opinion preceded the NIKUD) more
than the NIKUD, for instance, the lack of dagesh in the letter P of
רִדְפוּ suggests to me that this is a newer pronunciation for a
possibly older *רְדֹפוּ likewise רִבְבוֹת for
רְבָבוֹת*, and more of the like.

Isaac Fried, Boston University