[b-hebrew] Benefit of Modern Eng.?

Randall Buth randallbuth at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 22:49:47 EDT 2009

>I am talking about a person who knows not one word of English, who then
studies English for the sole purpose of reading Shakespeare. He has no
intention of speaking to a speaker of modern English. In such a scenario, he
would be better off not learning modern English.>

Sounds nice in theory, but if that person couldn't crank a sentence thru their
head after twenty years of schooling, then I would say that modern english
would have opened up a whole new world to them, including the Shakespearen
world. Modern English doesn't give them the definitive definitions but provides
the catalyst to make the shakespearean language a real language, fluent
in their head.
Randall

--
Randall Buth, PhD