[b-hebrew] Benefit of Modern Eng.?

Randall Buth randallbuth at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 17:56:15 EDT 2009

>Karl wrote
> I found I cannot read Shakespeare nor the KJV translation of the Bible
> except very superficially and letting a lot of things I don’t understand
> slide. It is not the words that have dropped out of use that are the
> problem, rather those that have remained in the language but changed their
> meanings.

You may be coming at the question from the 'long way around'.
think English. Psycholinguisitically, people can process higher
level reading when they do not need to think about the morphology.
Not needing to think about "-ed" "go" "gone".
And you may think that someone reading Shakespeare would be
better off if they could not speak a word of English (some modern
dialect) but had only read the language or studied its grammar or
dictionaries. I think that most people wanting to internalize shakespeare
would be greatful for the head start provided by being fluent in a related
dialect. and of course, they would learn the diffferences.
must run.
Randall

--
Randall Buth, PhD