[b-hebrew] Jeremiah 1:5

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Thu Oct 22 10:08:45 EDT 2009

Dear Joe,

In connection with Hebrew verbs you should not
*expect* anything. Any such expectation would be
based of the grammar book one believes in. And
grammar books often describe Hebrew verbs
differently. I have never seen any book on Hebrew
grammar or syntax making a systematic distinction
between semantic and pragmatic factors, so the
reader can know which intrinsic meaning a verb
form has, and which meaning it has gotten from
the context. Moreover, the definition of aspect,
if such a definition is found, is superficial and
never language-specific. So, instead of expecting
something, make a study of the Hebrew text and
see what you find there.

The most fundamental error in modern Hebrew
grammars is that they make a semantic distinction
between WAYYIQTOL and YIQTOL. There are scores
upon scores of passages where YIQTOLs and
WAYYIQTOLs are used with past reference (I deal
with 1.027 examples of YIQTOLs with past
reference in my dissertation), and where it is
very likely that the reason for the choice of
YIQTOL is that a substantive, or an adverb, or a
particle occurs before the verb. If these words
were removed, the	YIQTOLs would most likely
get the prefixed conjunction WAW and become
WAYYQTOLs.

One example which has some bearing on Jeremiah
1:5 is Job 38:8, because both have  the verb YC)
with past reference. If the YIQTOL in Job 38:8
had been clause initial, it would most likely
have been a WAYYIQTOL, just as the clause initial
WAYYIQTOL in the beginning of the verse.  A
similar example from Jeremiah is 52:7.

Then to Jeremiah 1:5. The verb YCR is telic (the
end is conceptually included in the action), and
YC) is semelfctive or telic. When these verbs
occur in a past setting, the actions are viewed
as completed at reference time. This collides
head on with most grammarians' view of
imperfectivity.  Joüon/Muraoka, II, 368, h
attempts to make an explanation: "Finally there
are some yiqtols with no iterative or durative
aspect, and thus having the value of qatal ,
which would be the expected form.  (NB, the word
"expected"). The observation that some YIQTOLs
cannot be explained as "durative past" (an
expression which is a misnomer, since
"durativity" is an Aktionsart term and not an
aspect term) is good. But to say that they have
exactly the same force or meaning as the very
opposite form-QATAL, is in my view linguistic
anarchy.  But please note the correct observation
of the grammar (II, 370, i), contrary to most
others, that the adverb +RM before a YIQTOL does
not influence its meaning in any way.

  Active, passive, reflexive, telic, resultative,
factitive, interative, habitual  actions etc. can
be expressed in different ways in Hebrew: by the
stem, by adverbs, by aspects and Aktionsart, and
by particles. For example, an interative force
can result from the combination of a semelfactive
or telic verb plus the imperfective aspect.  One
important side of the Piel stem is the
resultative force (the subject leads the object
through the end of an action and into a resultant
state)-see the fine explanation of this by
Waltke/O' Connor. But this resultative force can
also be made visible in the Qal stem by the use
of a semelfactive or telic verb plus the
imperfective aspect. This is the way I would
interpret the two YIQTOLs of Jeremiah 1:5. When a
forming action is completed, the thing formed
stands there. Jeremiah was formed by God, and
what Jeremiah makes visible is a man existing in
the state of having been formed to whom God could
talk. This is similar to a king who accepts the
throne, and then is in the state of reigning. We
can reason in a similar way with the other
YIQTOL. Jeremiah came out of his mother's womb,
and what is made visible is not the movement out
of the mother, but the resultant state of having
been born. In this way the imperfective
definition can be defended. True, the action is
completed, but the resultant state is open-ended.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo