[b-hebrew] Post biblical forms of Hebrew

Randall Buth randallbuth at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 16:47:14 EDT 2009

>> If his purpose is to read Tanakh, learning modern Hebrew before he has
>> mastered Biblical Hebrew may actually detract from his understanding of the
>> text.>>
>
>I agree wholeheartedly with Karl here. Randall,

Which means that two people who have not learned modern Hebrew
feel that learning modern Hebrew might be detrimental. That's their
experience and their choice.

I've seen many students go through the opposite reaction. After learning
modern Hebrew they wonder why there was a debate and hesitation in the first
place.

Which is why I recommend that people should get advice from those who
know both.

And while we are theoretically open to having teachers at BLC who fluently
control biblical but do not speak modern, we've not yet met any that could do
this.

Randall

--
Randall Buth, PhD