[b-hebrew] Post biblical forms of Hebrew

Randall Buth randallbuth at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 17:00:27 EDT 2009

Yosef katav
> What course of action do you all recommend for a student who wants
> to learn the post biblical forms of Hebrew? Should I begin with Mishnaic
> then Medieval then Modern? If so what are the best resources and
> approaches for learning each one of these in your opinions?
> I appreciate your help.

Your goals are laudable, go all the way, don't stop until you get there.
You will be happy that you did.
Speed and momentum are important in successfully attaining such goals.

1. First, become fluent in a dialect of Hebrew, any dialect. Modern Hebrew
is the most accessible for this and can provide a full, natural context for
rapidly using the language, something essential for deep internalization.
2. Read the texts of your periods of interest.
3. Read the articles of Kutscher, BarAsher, students and friends, many of
which are in Hebrew.

--
Randall Buth, PhD
www.biblicalulpan.org