[b-hebrew] Definite articles and proper names in B-Hebrew

James Christian jc.bhebrew at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 13 17:22:54 EDT 2009

I hate to bring this up again but after so long a discussion we don't seem
to have reached any kind of grammatically plausible explanation of why the
article is consistently missing in the style of the creation account.
Is there anybody in favour of this being explained in the same way as the
absence in construct forms is explained? i.e. that phrases don't need
definite articles if there are other indicators which make the phrase
definite? If so, what are those indicators?

Could it be that implicit definiteness is what explains that lack of
definite articles in most languages? Native speakers of Slavonic languages
like Polish, Ukrainian and Russian - what difference do you perceive between
names and titles in your native languages? (NB there is no definite article
in Slavonic languages)

James Christian